Skip to main content

Second Child Indestructibility


By Matt
As we patiently awaited our first child, we reveled in the excitement and newness of our friends. One of Julie's friends had a beautiful blue-eyed cherub of a boy. As we reached to touch him delicately (literal kid's gloves), her husband supplied us with what I found to be the most significant realization I've yet to hear about babies.

"They're quite durable."

Profound. It was in that moment that the reality and rationality surrounding this new chapter began to take hold. Our first little girl would be precious, but she wasn't a Faberge egg. Years of evolution and engineering had played a part in the process. They even accommodate for the huge head. I had to RELAX, understand that falls and bumps and bruises are a part of life, and appreciate those accidents as mutual life lessons. We fall so we can learn to get back up.

It took a while for me. It also took a bit of time for Ellie as well. She got her cues from me, and early on, I was constantly nervous. She COULD fall, she MIGHT slip, she MAY bump her head. As a result of my fear and anxiety, Ellie was learning hesitation. Ultimately, I knew that was the wrong path. I had to figure out a way to teach her to be aware and not fearful.

And lo and behold the solution to the dilemma arrived about 20 months later. A fiery comet shot from the uterus soon to be known as The Bebe.

Over the years, your family adopts mispronunciations. Those new phrases become part of the communal pidgin. One night Ellie declared our after dinner sweets as "Berserk". It is still perfect and used today. Bebe brought several herself, and by far the most frequent and endearing is the one that is heard often throughout the day.

"MEEOKAAAYY!" is usually preceded by random clangs, clatters and snaps that make the most skillful Foley experts go bug eyed. At least once a day, I'm positive I hear a tree cracking, a BB gun fired into a toilet, a low flying jet grazing the roof. Nope. It's simply Bebe. Maybe she's built a pillow tower to reach the top of her dresser, maybe she's decided to practice her crossbody splash from the ottoman to the couch, or maybe she's just fallen at full speed like a lawn dart. The one thing you never hear is a cry. Bebe has no fear, and so I follow her lead. No tears with scrapes, no tears with shots, no tears when the screen door crashes on her head like a whack a mole. Beatrice Bryant is a Kevlar-madillo. She's compact,with tiny muscular quads, traps like a gymnast, and the ability to morph into a cannonball. She climbs whatever she sees, hangs precipitously from whatever she climbs, and takes falls like a seasoned stuntman. I have no choice, don't you see? Just for kicks and karma, her spirit is as tough and as stubborn as her exterior. I've been told I'm a bit that way. We describe her to others with simplicity. Bebe is very sweet, until she is not. You cannot kill that which simply refuses to die.

Her sister is entirely different. A world apart. She is the sweetest piece of happiness I've found in this world. She's my delicate orchid, and Bebe is Monsanto-engineered Monkey Grass. Ellie is bright, and shining with spirit. She has a great grasp of language, early signs of creativity with her art and imagination. She also has an inclination toward the dramatic. Minor scrapes bring tears, loose teeth will not be pulled, and water up the nose at the pool nearly requires a fainting couch. Bebe gets pink eye and she curses the eye, Ellie gets pink eye and she curses cruel fate. She is just pure sunshine and optimism, and she feels with ferocity. We nurture that. She's an empathetic, sweet spirit. We need that in this world to keep it in balance. The contrast between the two is a perfect example of that.

"We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond."   --Gwendolyn Brooks

They are each other's magnitude and bond. Peanut Butter and Honey. Vanilla ice cream and rainbow sprinkles. Thelma and Louise. I'm lucky enough to be a stay at home Dad, and watch this perfect combination evolve. They learn from each other, protect each other, share their snacks, sit with shoulders touching, hug for no reason. It's a beautiful amalgamation of indestructibility and unyielding openness, a full scale weapon of mass compassion. With weapons like theirs, hate doesn't stand a chance.


Comments

  1. Beautiful. I look so very forward to the subsequent entries.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I'm Livin', and What I'm Digging

By Matt I've been living a refreshed life the past three weeks, and it feels great. I wish I could say what changed, but I can't quite pinpoint it yet. Honestly, the right song plays, I tear up, and smile. The best description at the time is I kind of feel like the Beast at the end of the 1991 animated classic. The curse has been lifted, and I'm in the middle of an inspiring transformation, that's left me a bit dumbfounded. (Anyone else think the Prince he reverts to is incredibly bland and that his previously beastly appearance is much more aesthetically pleasing?) I'm not so foolish as to think the spell has been broken in my situation, but I do believe that with consistent mindfulness, an open acceptance of circumstance, and a rational basis of reaction, that maybe I can walk a clearer and more beautiful path. So I figured I'd share what's in my therapeutic quiver lately. These are a few of the items that have been helping me cope and fill the holes of...

Finding creative space

by Julie With each new transition in life, spaces open and close — a phenomenon that can feel particularly intense when you have small children. Kids grow and change so fast, I often feel that just when I’m comfortable in a routine and feel like I’ve got stuff figured out, something tips and I find myself scrambling to make adjustments and regain balance. Ever since becoming a parent, I’ve struggled to find space in my life for creative work — something that before children was such a joy and such an integral part of my own sense of identity. But raising babies while working full-time left me with little time or energy to wrestle quilts through my sewing machine, or to pull out all of the painting supplies. Not to mention the Mother Guilt which haunts us moms every time we try to do something that feels remotely selfish.  So I would snatch stolen moments and evade sleep in order to squeeze out a project here and there. A baby quilt for a new niece. Back-to-school dr...

The tale of the first tooth

By Julie Loose baby teeth creep me out. I was one of those kids who would wait until each tooth was dangling by the tiniest of threads before I would get the nerve to pull it out. I thought I had more time before I had to deal with my own kids' loose teeth. I was wrong. Interestingly, Ellie's first adult tooth worked its way up behind one of her bottom baby teeth—frightening the bejesus out of me with its seeming hugeness and odd placement. Several text messages to family, worried googling, and finally a phone call to the dentist assured me that this is just "shark teeth," a fairly common occurrence, especially among children who have petite jaws and tight teeth. (The dentist had already informed us that Ellie's teeth are on the crowded side, a likely sign that orthodontics may be a part of her journey to adulthood. Excellent!) The remedy recommended was to wiggle the baby tooth and "help it out." Well, there was no way I was going to be involve...