Skip to main content

My name is Matt, and I'm a flower arranger


By Matt
Hey! Psst. Hey man! Come over here. Listen. I don't want to shout this, but I kind of love arranging flowers. There. I said it. It feels so good to come clean and let it out. I know I'm not supposed to like it, but when I do it, IT FEELS SO GOOD!!!

Seriously though, flower arranging is a perennial favorite hobby of mine (Hey yo! Serious from now on I promise). It's another source of happiness I've found and accepted thanks to Julie. It started simply enough, in our first home in Gibsonville. We were lucky enough to own a beautiful Craftsman bungalow that Julie found, and a combination of love and luck allowed us to make a happy life in that cozy house for about 5 years. The inside was charming, but the backyard was where the hidden beauty resided. There was a long stretching perennial garden, engulfed in errant invasive rose of sharon shoots. That first spring, Julie and I went to war, armed with shovel and mattock. We stared poison ivy down. We pulled, and cursed, and pulled some more. By the end of the summer with patience and perserverance, we had done a damn fine job of restoration, and watering that garden became my sanctuary. It is still a tender memory. Hosing that garden down in the evening with the Grateful Dead playing and a cold drink in my hand was one of the most meditative experiences I've ever had.


And as that garden grew, my interest in plants and flowers followed. I researched and watched and became a father of blooms and blossoms. One day, probably around a birthday or anniversary, I took the plunge. I took my Felcos, and began to snip. I found a vase, and I took the leap.


What can I say? Beauty is a helluva drug. Julie came home, saw my creation, and encouraged me to continue, although at that point encouragement wasn't much needed. I was hooked.


What makes it so much fun? It's the combination of investment, creation, and fulfillment, just like it often is with most art. Imagine growing the colors you then used to paint the portrait. Cool right? That's what flower arranging is.

As far as tips and rules I don't have much to offer. That's just me following the Golden Rule. I don't really listen to other people's advice, and I just don't enjoy rules. That's part of what makes arranging so fun to me. I guess I'd recommend variety, a combination of perennials and annuals, variation of verticality and foliage, and to start with what you have less of so you can fill spots with what's more plentiful. Keep the size and shape of your vessel in mind, and most importantly, fill it with what you love. Grow what you love. The whole "no green thumb" excuse is just a different way of admitting impatience and a lack of awareness. Treat those plants like family, and I promise you, they will grow. Just like all relationships, you have to show a little love in order to receive that bounty of beauty. You can do it though. And honestly, I hope you get hooked, just like me.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I'm Livin', and What I'm Digging

By Matt I've been living a refreshed life the past three weeks, and it feels great. I wish I could say what changed, but I can't quite pinpoint it yet. Honestly, the right song plays, I tear up, and smile. The best description at the time is I kind of feel like the Beast at the end of the 1991 animated classic. The curse has been lifted, and I'm in the middle of an inspiring transformation, that's left me a bit dumbfounded. (Anyone else think the Prince he reverts to is incredibly bland and that his previously beastly appearance is much more aesthetically pleasing?) I'm not so foolish as to think the spell has been broken in my situation, but I do believe that with consistent mindfulness, an open acceptance of circumstance, and a rational basis of reaction, that maybe I can walk a clearer and more beautiful path. So I figured I'd share what's in my therapeutic quiver lately. These are a few of the items that have been helping me cope and fill the holes of...

Finding creative space

by Julie With each new transition in life, spaces open and close — a phenomenon that can feel particularly intense when you have small children. Kids grow and change so fast, I often feel that just when I’m comfortable in a routine and feel like I’ve got stuff figured out, something tips and I find myself scrambling to make adjustments and regain balance. Ever since becoming a parent, I’ve struggled to find space in my life for creative work — something that before children was such a joy and such an integral part of my own sense of identity. But raising babies while working full-time left me with little time or energy to wrestle quilts through my sewing machine, or to pull out all of the painting supplies. Not to mention the Mother Guilt which haunts us moms every time we try to do something that feels remotely selfish.  So I would snatch stolen moments and evade sleep in order to squeeze out a project here and there. A baby quilt for a new niece. Back-to-school dr...

The tale of the first tooth

By Julie Loose baby teeth creep me out. I was one of those kids who would wait until each tooth was dangling by the tiniest of threads before I would get the nerve to pull it out. I thought I had more time before I had to deal with my own kids' loose teeth. I was wrong. Interestingly, Ellie's first adult tooth worked its way up behind one of her bottom baby teeth—frightening the bejesus out of me with its seeming hugeness and odd placement. Several text messages to family, worried googling, and finally a phone call to the dentist assured me that this is just "shark teeth," a fairly common occurrence, especially among children who have petite jaws and tight teeth. (The dentist had already informed us that Ellie's teeth are on the crowded side, a likely sign that orthodontics may be a part of her journey to adulthood. Excellent!) The remedy recommended was to wiggle the baby tooth and "help it out." Well, there was no way I was going to be involve...