Skip to main content

This is Four

By Julie
Kid birthday parties always make me feel a bit as if I've been hit by a dump truck. It's two days later and I think I have now regained full consciousness. Of our two kids' collective nine birthdays so far, this is only our second real birthday party—the full deal with other peoples' kids, invitations, favors, etc, etc, etc. Mostly because they are highly stressful and demand lots of small talk with other people, something this ISTJ and INFP avoid wherever possible.

But our baby turned four and the prospect of a birthday party she could invite her friends to put a huge smile on her face. So we rented our local indoor inflatable playground for two hours and had us a party. Pros: The "play" portion of the party was dead easy. Everybody loved it. Somebody else had to clean up. Cons: I couldn't go crazy with the crafty decorations, treats and doodads I originally planned because it was a package deal with little room for customization. (OH, WAIT. I think that was a "pro" in disguise and saved me from myself.)

Four is sparkly and twirly and excited, grinning from ear to ear with delight as almost 40 people sing Happy Birthday to you. It's full-speed fun (NO naps, thank you) for three straight days with pumpkin picking, bouncing, birthday partying, donut- and cupcake-eating, present-opening and balloon-bouncing.

Goes to show we will do anything to make this sweet kid happy. Two introverts can successfully throw a birthday party for 18 preschoolers with the help of a professional bounce house party hostess and 20,000 square feet of inflatables. We've cracked the code.


I did make homemade invitations, because I couldn't help myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I'm Livin', and What I'm Digging

By Matt I've been living a refreshed life the past three weeks, and it feels great. I wish I could say what changed, but I can't quite pinpoint it yet. Honestly, the right song plays, I tear up, and smile. The best description at the time is I kind of feel like the Beast at the end of the 1991 animated classic. The curse has been lifted, and I'm in the middle of an inspiring transformation, that's left me a bit dumbfounded. (Anyone else think the Prince he reverts to is incredibly bland and that his previously beastly appearance is much more aesthetically pleasing?) I'm not so foolish as to think the spell has been broken in my situation, but I do believe that with consistent mindfulness, an open acceptance of circumstance, and a rational basis of reaction, that maybe I can walk a clearer and more beautiful path. So I figured I'd share what's in my therapeutic quiver lately. These are a few of the items that have been helping me cope and fill the holes of...

Finding creative space

by Julie With each new transition in life, spaces open and close — a phenomenon that can feel particularly intense when you have small children. Kids grow and change so fast, I often feel that just when I’m comfortable in a routine and feel like I’ve got stuff figured out, something tips and I find myself scrambling to make adjustments and regain balance. Ever since becoming a parent, I’ve struggled to find space in my life for creative work — something that before children was such a joy and such an integral part of my own sense of identity. But raising babies while working full-time left me with little time or energy to wrestle quilts through my sewing machine, or to pull out all of the painting supplies. Not to mention the Mother Guilt which haunts us moms every time we try to do something that feels remotely selfish.  So I would snatch stolen moments and evade sleep in order to squeeze out a project here and there. A baby quilt for a new niece. Back-to-school dr...

The tale of the first tooth

By Julie Loose baby teeth creep me out. I was one of those kids who would wait until each tooth was dangling by the tiniest of threads before I would get the nerve to pull it out. I thought I had more time before I had to deal with my own kids' loose teeth. I was wrong. Interestingly, Ellie's first adult tooth worked its way up behind one of her bottom baby teeth—frightening the bejesus out of me with its seeming hugeness and odd placement. Several text messages to family, worried googling, and finally a phone call to the dentist assured me that this is just "shark teeth," a fairly common occurrence, especially among children who have petite jaws and tight teeth. (The dentist had already informed us that Ellie's teeth are on the crowded side, a likely sign that orthodontics may be a part of her journey to adulthood. Excellent!) The remedy recommended was to wiggle the baby tooth and "help it out." Well, there was no way I was going to be involve...